Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall into Fun

This fall has flown by, as illustrated by my inability to blog on a regular basis. So, here are a few photos that will get you up to date on what we've been doing.

Tyto went back to school at the end of August. He's once again in the program at our club, which at first was a little rocky because they have a new director and it didn't have the same super-warm/managable-chaos feeling that it had last year (plus, lots of the kids--including Tyler--were crying during drop-off, which didn't help matters. At least Tyto didn't throw up during drop-off for a month straight like his little classmate, Avatar). However, now we've got all the kinks ironed out and Tyto really looks forward to school. He comes home with the most adorable art projects and he loves his teachers and most of the classmates. He cracks me up when he starts to sing the songs that they sing in school, songs that I don't know, which is weird because up until now I've known EVERYTHING that he's exposed to. His teachers are so creative and he comes home doing with silly ideas like how he has to "shake his sillies out" and go on bear hunts. We now do this on a daily basis at our house so if you ever come over, we may be under the covers of our bed pretending to be bears. Don't say I didn't warn you.

While Tyto is in school, Tristan and I get to play! I usually take him down to the beach to swing a while. He loves it and I'm sure is thinking "push me higher!" but I'm just a little cautious with him still. This one is going to be our daredevil. He's growing so fast and just loves watching all the kids when we pick up and drop off Tyler.


Tyler finished up his last few classes of Coach Derek's sports class at the end of summer. Here he is making a basketball hat. With moves like this and his preference for snacks and water breaks over actually playing the game, perhaps he'll end up being a Clipper.
Best part of class is doing the cheer at the end, getting a sticker and heading to the car for yet another snack. Oh yeah.

Snack? Did someone say snack? Tristan may not be a very good sleeper, but he sure does love to eat! Uncle Ed came back to visit us for a few days before going on to Addis Ababa for his next job.

So, we decided to take a weekend trip up to Big Bear to see what it was like. Tyler loved the cabin we rented because of all the friggin' bears. I swear, it was decorated with at least 40 bears in various places: bear umbrella holders, bear toothbrush holders, bear cabinet handles, etc. Very cute, but perhaps 39 bears would have done the trick. Tyler didn't think so, he especially loved this big one. He also loved the bunk beds.
We went for a nature hike that was a little over a mile long and took what felt like all afternoon. Largely because Tyto pretty much insisted on being carried the whole way, stopping every so often to serenade us with a lovely rendition of Frosty the Snowman, sung properly atop a stump. Tristan pretty much slept in the carrier the entire way.


Here's Tyto trying to school Uncle Ed on the proper way to climb a rock.
For being only two hours away from our house, it was quite surprising how mountainy Big Bear really felt. Naturally the skiing will never compare to Colorado, but it's nice to know we can get in the car and go sledding for the day if we really, really want to.
Tristan is getting to be more interactive and playful every day. He's pretending to be Super Baby in this picture, I think.

Labor Day weekend brought the fair back to Hermosa Beach. Every morning we went down and spent ridiculous amounts of money on filthy rides that Tyler couldn't get enough of. Then he made up stories about the fair for the rest of the day so I guess it was money well spent.
Tyto says, "weeeeeeee!!!!" Mama says, "please don't fall over, please don't fall over, please don't fall over."

Cute, cute, cute! I have to say, I think Tristan is ridiculously cute. I didn't think I could take more photos than I did of Tyler, but I think I may have to sell a few extra houses to pay for all the photo development for this child. He's just so sweet and easy to make smile and he's at such a wonderful gushy stage.
Note the hand on Tristan's arm. These two are going to be such good friends. Tyler is always all over his brother and just when I think Tristan is going to scream, he laughs. He particularly likes watching Tyler walk down the stairs, it cracks him up! I may be eating my words once Tristan can take Tyto's toys, but for now we are just in such a sweet spot. I feel so lucky to have these two little people in my life.







No comments: